Counter-drone technology company Department 13 (D13), the 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Platinum Award Winner for Best UAV Perimeter Protection Solution, has entered into a teaming agreement with Raytheon to offer counter-drone technologies to global defense organizations.
The companies will work together to market and support existing counter-drone technologies and co-develop new capabilities.
D13 and Raytheon initially will seek opportunities for MESMER™, D-13’s patented, low-power, non-jamming, non-line-of-sight, non-kinetic, counter-drone solution.
MESMER provides a safe and effective method of protecting personnel and infrastructure from dangerous drones by automatically detecting and then stopping, redirecting or taking control of them.
(What is MESMER? Find out here. Courtesy of Department 13 and YouTube)
“This teaming agreement marks an important milestone as Raytheon is a global leader in developing unmanned system situational awareness, mission management and command and control systems,” said Jonathan Hunter, CEO of D13.
“Raytheon’s strong ties to key customers globally, combined with its quality controls and assurance, will add a great amount of depth and breadth to our development efforts.”
“Commercial drones continue to be affordable, yet effective tools for our adversaries to target U.S. and allied forces,” said Bob Busey, program director for unmanned vehicle control systems at Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services.
“We will work with D13 to bring unique counter-drone technologies to defend against these growing threats.”
MESMER provides a safe and effective method of protecting personnel and infrastructure from dangerous drones.
How Does MESMER Work?
MESMER will prevent drones from physically harming people, damaging and disrupting critical infrastructure, and stealing intellectual property.
D13’s MESMER Counter Drone System, is a unique, patented, low power, non-jamming, non-line of sight, non-kinetic drone mitigation solution.
The key differentiator for MESMER is its ability to manipulate weaknesses in all digital radio protocols.
This allows MESMER to put into effect sophisticated automated detection and mitigation strategies to stop, redirect, land or take control of drones across a range of national security and defense scenarios.
The patented technology is built on open source software architecture, which ensures that MESMER can be seamlessly integrated into existing security and surveillance systems.
The MESMER v1.0 system has three key components:
- General purpose computer server running Linus OS.
- Multiple Ethernet ports are utilized for intra-system communication.
- Software Defines Radios (SDR).
- MESMER utilizes commercially available SDRs for RF signal reception and generation.
- SDRs can generate arbitrary waveforms which are used for drone detection, identification, and mitigation.
- RF Front End.
- Provides signal conditioning on both receive and transmit channels, and allows MESMER to perform optimally in real-world environments.
(What can MESMER do? Find out here. Courtesy of Department 13 and YouTube)
What Are We Protecting?
Drones have proliferated in the market for consumer and prosumer applications, however, some drones are being used for nefarious purposes.
As such drones have been:
- Weaponized to carry dangerous payloads
- Armed with optics that can surveil friendly force movements,
- Capture a company’s valuable intellectual property & more.
(Learn More, courtesy of Department 13 and YouTube)
The MESMER system can be operated using a single graphical user interface:
- A tablet with a touch screen, or
- A standard desktop monitor with a keyboard and mouse.
The system can also be operated in auto-mitigation mode that does not require operator intervention to initiate a drone mitigation.
- D13 has a dedicated team working on the mitigation of newly available drones.
- D13 continually rolls out mitigation capabilities for new drones, in the form of software updates.
- The updates are available on a regular schedule, or at an interval that is agreed upon by the customer.
- MESMER is flexible.
- It can be installed in ruggedized enclosures equipped with climate control for fixed sites (indoor/outdoor), or used for mobile applications.
- MESMER’s transit power is less than 1 Watt.
- This is within the power limit set by the FCC.
- MESMER can reach different distances, depending on the type of antennae being used.
- MESMER can be used as a standalone.
- Or, MESMER can be integrated into Command & Control (or security) systems, via RJ45 cable and standard IP-based networking.
How Do I Purchase MESMER?
MESMER v1.0 is available for purchase with environmental enclosure and antenna mast options to suit a wide range of applications (such as fixed installations and mobile security).
- D13 understands the drone economy and your requirement for adaptable and reconfigurable equipment that can be regularly upgraded to manage new drone threats.
- With a MESMER purchase, D13 offers software maintenance with software upgrades that are easily installed for one year, plus software renewal options.
- D13 also offers training and servicing options that support a turnkey solution.
- Department 13 International Ltd, (D13) is an innovative, technology company focusing on wireless and mobile technologies to create solutions that transform networks and communications.
(Fascinating video presentation from the 2017 APEX workshop (Alumni Professional Exchange). Robi Sen, CTO with Department 13, offered attendees a glimpse into the future and implications of autonomous systems and artificial intelligence. Courtesy of the Center for Homeland Defense and Security Naval Postgraduate School and YouTube. Posted on May 12, 2017)
Department 13 at a Glance
D13 is an innovative, technology company developing cutting-edge software and communication systems that have the potential to transform current applications in drone defense, mobile phone IT security and secure enhanced Android phone systems.
D13 is engaged with multiple counter UAS projects to provide strategic solutions for civil, military and commercial security requirements.
D13 currently has 13 patents and 22 patent applications in the development of:
- Wireless protocol manipulation and communication networking software with applications in drone defense
- Local area and wide area cellular communications and networking
- Enhanced data bandwidth for all digital communications
- Cyber security for mobile devices, and
- Sophisticated RF technology applications (radiometrics).
The 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Program
American Security Today’s 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Awards Presentation Luncheon at ISC East was an overwhelming success, with distinguished guests from National, State and Local Governments, and Industry Leading Corporate Executives from companies allied to Government.
Over 100 professionals gathered from across North America and the Middle East to be honored from disciplines across the Security Industry in their respective fields which included:
- The Department of Homeland Security
- The Department of Justice
- The Security Exchange Commission
- State and Municipal Law Enforcement Agencies, and
- Leaders in Private Security
The 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Presentation Luncheon
Recognized for their Innovative Training and Education Programs, Outstanding Product Development Achievements and Exciting New Technologies to address the growing Homeland Security Threats our Nation is facing.
American Security Today was formed after careful reflection of 9/11 and its aftermath when the Department of Homeland Security was established and there was an immediate explosion of new products and solutions for what was perceived as an imminent second attack on primary targets in the United States.
As time moved forward from 9/11 itself and in recent years, the threats to our nation have evolved from a large scale 9/11 type attack to:
- Domestic and International Terrorist Attacks carried out by ‘lone wolves’ and coordinated individuals
- Cybersecurity breach attacks against our government agencies, financial institutions and critical infrastructure facilities
- Unprecedented urban violence
- Cultural shifts and societal media bias, which make it increasingly difficult to secure our nation in this constantly evolving threat environment.
These current circumstances have put forward another rapid expansion of new ideas, products and solutions to combat these ever changing challenges.
These changes have called for a new generation of security experts in the Homeland Security and Public Safety fields who need real time knowledge of our ever growing threats.
These experts include the Government at the Federal, State and Local levels as well as from Private Firms specializing in Physical Security, Port Security, Law Enforcement, First Responders, Military and Private Security responsible for implementing coordinated security measures to ensure our Nation’s Security and improve Public Safety.
AST focuses on Homeland Security and Public Safety Breaking News, the Newest Initiatives and Hottest Technologies in Physical & IT Security, essential to meeting today’s growing security challenges.
To highlight the tremendous accomplishments of agencies and firms receiving this prestigious award, check out American Security Today’s 2017 December ‘ASTORS’ Champions Edition – ‘Year in Review.’
For more information about D13, please visit www.department13.com.