TASER International, the global leader in connected apps and devices for law enforcement, has released the new Axon Signal Sidearm.
This is the first wireless sensor to alert Axon body cameras when a firearm is removed from an officer’s holster.
Expanding on the company’s Axon Signal technology, which also works with TASER Smart Weapons and police cruisers, it will enable officers to be even more thoroughly covered by the Axon network in the line of duty.
The Signal Sidearm will be available for purchase in Q3 2017.
“When law enforcement officers must draw a weapon, the last thing they should worry about is their technology,” said TASER CEO and Co-Founder, Rick Smith.
“The Signal Sidearm will give officers the same confidence in their technology that already exists in encounters involving Smart Weapons that use our Signal technology. It’s an important step in extending the reach of the Axon network to connect other devices.”
Customers can receive early access to Signal Sidearm by visiting our website: https://www.axon.io/products/signal
- The Signal Sidearm attaches to an officer’s existing firearm holster without interfering with normal operation.
- The device is wireless and does not risk cables and wires getting in the way of officers when on duty.
- Once a firearm is drawn, the sensor is triggered and alerts all Axon cameras within a 30-foot range to begin recording. The signal communicates with the full line of Axon cameras including Axon Body 2, Axon Flex 2, and Axon Fleet in-car cameras.
- The Signal Sidearm is compatible with most existing firearm holsters.
- The coin cell battery that operates the device lasts approximately 1.5 years and automatically alerts the user via the Axon network if the battery is low.
To date, more than 100,000 licenses have been contracted on the Axon network worldwide.
It seamlessly integrates devices and apps to enable powerful capabilities for building safer communities.
(The Signal Performance Power Magazine (SPPM) is a smart battery that works with TASER’s X2 (shown) and X26P Smart Weapons. The SPPM is designed to automatically inform Axon Body 2, Axon Flex, Axon Flex 2, and Axon Fleet compatible cameras that a TASER Smart Weapon within signal range is armed, the trigger is pulled, or its arc switch is activated and start recording. Courtesy of TASER and YouTube)
Axon Signal Products
Axon Signal is able to report events to Axon cameras up to 30 feet away.
Axon Signal Unit (ASU):
- Report events, like when you open the car door or activate the light bar, so that your camera can detect them and start recording. Ideal for cars, SUVs, and motorcycles.
- Capture critical footage when using your X2 and X26P Smart Weapons.
- The SPPM reports to your camera when your weapon is armed so it can start recording. The weapon also logs the moment the trigger is pulled and arc is engaged.
Why Axon Signal?
- It’s easy: Record events without lifting a finger. That way, you can focus on the situations in front of you.
- It tells a story: Collect key information about incidents, from the triggers that activate your camera to the video evidence you capture of a scene.
- It’s reliable: Choose the triggers that are reported to your camera, so it starts recording when your policy says it should.
(Marcus Womack, General Manager of Axon discusses how TASER Protects Life & Axon Body Worn Cameras Protect Truth. Axon’s digital evidence management is crucial to this success. Learn how cloud based Evidence.com manages manages the data tsunami using Microsoft Azure. Courtesy of TASER and YouTube)
The Axon network includes:
- Body cameras and in-car video that leverage technology such as Bluetooth® wireless technology and Wi-Fi® to better track and manage data
- Evidence management for iOS and Android devices with Axon View and Axon Capture
Unified and Integrated Digital Evidence Management System (DEMS)
- One platform that removes siloed DEMS through cloud computing, integrations across media points, and open file standards that do not require proprietary file formats or media players
Forensic Suite Tools
- Forensic analysis via Axon Five and Axon Detect, and proprietary video format conversion via Axon Convert
- From capture to courtroom, securely share and track digital evidence across public safety stakeholders
Digital Verification and Audit Logs
Record every interaction with any piece of digital evidence including capture, ingest, retrieve, manage, and share
- Industry–leading people, practices, and products that comply with CJIS at both the infrastructure and application layers and ISO/IEC 27001
TASER International makes communities safer with innovative public safety technologies.
TASER defines smarter policing with its Axon brand which includes a growing suite of connected products and services from body cameras and digital evidence management tools to mobile apps.
More than 178,000 lives and countless dollars have been saved with TASER’s products and services.