High Rise Escape Systems (HRES), a Two-Time Winner in the annual ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Award Winner, is pleased to announce the company’s Guardian Escape System, has been nominated to compete in the 2018 ‘ASTORS’ Awards Program.
Made up of emergency service professionals, EMTs and professional fire fighters, HRES believes that in today’s complex environment it is irresponsible to believe that in times of danger emergency services will be obtainable, timely and equipped to provide rescue from multi-story buildings, air traffic control towers (ATC), or other critical infrastructure environments.
In fact, ninety-nine percent of the world’s fire ladder trucks cannot reach above the 7th floor.
(High Rise Escape has been featured in a Discovery Channel 9/11 Anniversary Special. Courtesy of the company and YouTube)
The Guardian Escape System provide simple, reliable and inexpensive solutions for self-evacuation and rescue so that people can truly plan two ways out.
Step by Step – How it Works
The Guardian Escape System accomplishes this by using a combination of several simple, low-tech devices.
They require no power, are inexpensive, have a long shelf-life and are easy to use.
They have developed permanent and portable Escape Systems to attach to a structure.
Each System incorporates a Controlled Descent Device, commonly referred to as a “CDD” which works like a pulley.
In operation, a user slides an Escape Harness over them, climbs over their balcony or out a window and the CDD slowly lowers them automatically at the rate of 3 feet per second.
This speed can be compared to a slow elevator.
As they descend, the opposite end of the cable automatically retracts and reloads the CDD for the next evacuee.
Then the process repeats. Everyone gets out.
Escape harnesses are permanently attached at each end of the cable and full fire resistant evacuation suits are available.
Each CDD incorporates a poly-steel cable with a neoprene inner lining and braided polyester jacket to protect it against abrasion, moisture and heat.
Cable lengths are currently available up to 1000 feet (305 meters) or about 100 floors.
Other options are available for locations exceeding these heights.
High Rise Escape Fire Resistant Evacuation Suits
Designed with senior citizens, mobility impaired and the disabled communities in mind, these suits are simple to put on and simple to put on others.
They are oversized for adult and child together if necessary and made up of an Aluminized, Kevlar-style material that repels 95% of radiant heat.
(As always, we are proud to assist any organization that is addressing safety concerns for occupants of multi-story buildings. Supplemental Evacuation is a perfect solution for buildings above the reach of FD Ladder Trucks. What’s your plan for escape? Courtesy of the American Red Cross and YouTube)
These are designed to mitigate means of egress for anyone living or working above the 2nd floor, including:
- Government Buildings, Embassies, Barracks
- Hospitals, Disabled Individuals, Nursing Homes
- Air Traffic Control Towers
- Apartments, Condominiums & Hotels
- Industrial Job Sites, Theme Parks, Cranes, Oil Platforms, and Ships.
(See in Action, courtesy of High Rise Escape Systems and YouTube)
The United States Military has been utilizing the Guardian Escape Systems on Air Traffic Control Towers such as Edwards AFB, Tinker AFB, Maxwell AFB and Patrick AFB as well as Army and Air National Guard installations such as Alpena CRTC and Grayling Air Gunnery Range.
Together with your support, HRES is proud to protect those who protect us all!
HRES was also challenged by The Weather Channel’s “Weather Proof” to test the Guardian Escape System in front of a national audience, explains Ryan Alles, President at High Rise Escape Systems Inc.
“We were proud to be featured on the season premiere and received a big “two thumbs up”!
Ryan spent over a decade in the U.S. emergency services field as both an EMT and professional Fire Fighter.
Frustrated and angered by the events of September 11th, 2001, which proved how slow evacuations from high rise structures can have fatal consequences, he worked to bring solutions that the average citizen can afford.
In 2007 Ryan was appointed to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Building Code/Safety to Life Technical Committee for which he still serves.
He is a founding member of the Safe Evacuation Coalition, Participating member on the American Society of Testing and Material (ASTM) E06.77 committee on Supplemental Evacuation Devices.
Ryan is also a member of the International Counter-Terrorism Officers Association (IACSP), and worked with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) to designate High Rise Escape Systems product line as a “Qualified Anti-Terrorism Technology” under the SAFETY Act.
(Stephanie Abrahms and Newt Wimer challenged High Rise Escape Systems Inc. to see if how fast they could evacuate people from burning buildings. Wait till you see this system in action! Courtesy of the Weather Channel and YouTube)
High Rise Escape Systems current qualifications include:
- National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) Textbook example of Supplemental Evacuation Equipment – Life Safety Code Handbook 2015-2017 Edition pages 1216, 1217 (three pictures total)
- The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has approved our products for their Tailored Logistics Support Program (TLS) to support our warfighters
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security / Safety Act – Qualified Anti-Terrorism Technology designation in 2007 to Present
- NFPA Building & Life Safety Code / Means of Egress Section – Technical Committee Appointee 2007 to Present
- American Security Today (AST) 2016 & 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Award Winner for Best Disaster Preparedness, Recovery Solution and Best Fire & Safety System.
- Department of Homeland Security/Responder Knowledge Base – Registered Participant
- Safe Evacuation Coalition – Founder & Member Est. 2006
- International Counter-Terrorism Officers Association Member
- ASTM E2484 Multi-Story Building External Evacuation Controlled Descent Devices–Member/Participant
- Government Security News (GSN) 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Winners of The Homeland Security Award for “Best Clean Up, Decontamination, Disaster Preparedness or Recovery Product”
(See the Guardian Escape System in Action. Courtesy of High Rise Escape Systems and YouTube)
High Rise Escape Systems in 2018 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Program
AST focuses on Homeland Security and Public Safety Breaking News, the Newest Initiatives and Hottest Technologies in Physical & IT Security, essential to meeting today’s growing security challenges.
The 2018 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Program, is organized to recognize the most distinguished vendors of Physical, IT, Port Security, Law Enforcement, Border Security, First Responders, (Fire, EMT, Military, Support Services Vets, SBA, Medical Tech) as well as the Federal, State, County and Municipal Government Agencies – to acknowledge their outstanding efforts to ‘Keep our Nation Secure, One City at a Time.’
As an ‘ASTORS’ competitor, the Guardian Escape System will be competing against the industry’s leading providers of Innovative Disaster Preparedness, Disaster Recovery Systems.
To Learn More about the ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Program, see 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Award Winners Honored at ISC East.
Over 100 distinguished guests from National, State and Local Governments, and Industry Leading Corporate Executives from companies allied to Government, gathered from across North America and the Middle East to be honored from disciplines across the Security Industry in their respective fields which included representatives from:
- The Department of Homeland Security
- The Department of Justice
- The Security Exchange Commission
- State and Municipal Law Enforcement Agencies
- Leaders in Private Security