On Nov. 2, 2017, Kidde announced a recall of almost 38 million fire extinguishers sold in the United States.
They may not work during a fire emergency if they become clogged and require a lot of force to use.
- Also, the nozzle can come off with enough force to strike and hurt someone.
Kidde recommends owners immediately replace these fire extinguishers.
The company is aware of one death when emergency responders couldn’t get the recalled extinguishers to work.
- There have been almost 400 reports of problems related to these Kidde fire extinguishers.
- This recall involves two styles of Kidde fire extinguishers:
- Plastic handle fire extinguishers, and
- Push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers.
Plastic handle fire extinguishers:
- The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017, including models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and February 2015.
- The extinguishers were sold in red, white and silver, and are either ABC- or BC-rated.
- The model number is printed on the fire extinguisher label.
- For units produced in 2007 and beyond, the date of manufacture is a 10-digit date code printed on the side of the cylinder, near the bottom.
- Digits five through nine represent the day and year of manufacture in DDDYY format.
- Date codes for recalled models manufactured from January 2, 2012 through August 15, 2017 are 00212 through 22717.
- For units produced before 2007, a date code is not printed on the fire extinguisher.
|Plastic-handle models produced between January 1, 1973 and October 25, 2015|
|2A40BC||Gillette TPS-1 1A10BC||Sams SM 340|
|6 RAP||Home 10BC||Sanford 1A10BC|
|6 TAP||Home 1A10BC||Sanford 2A40BC|
|Ademco 720 1A10BC||Home 2A40BC||Sanford TPS-1 1A10BC|
|Ademco 722 2A40BC||Home H-10 10BC||Sanford TPS-1 2A40BC|
|ADT 3A40BC||Home H-110 1A10BC||Sears 2RPS 5BC|
|All Purpose 2A40BC||Home H-240 2A-40BC||Sears 58033 10BC|
|Bicentenial RPS-2 10BC||Honeywell 1A10BC||Sears 58043 1A10BC|
|Bicentenial TPS-2 1A-10BC||Honeywell TPS-1 1A10BC||Sears 5805 2A40BC|
|Costco 340||J.L. 2A40BC||Sears 958034|
|FA 340HD||J.L. TPS-1 2A40BC||Sears 958044|
|FA240HD||Kadet 2RPS-1 5BC||Sears 958054|
|FC 340Z||Kidde 10BC||Sears 958075|
|FC Super||Kidde 1A10BC||Sears RPS-1 10BC|
|FC210R-C8S||Kidde 2A40BC||Sears TPS-1 1A10BC|
|Fire Away 10BC Spanish||Kidde 40BC||Sears TPS-1 2A40BC|
|Fire Away 1A10BC Spanish||Kidde RPS-1 10BC||Traveler 10BC|
|Fire Away 2A40BC Spanish||Kidde RPS-1 40BC||Traveler 1A10BC|
|Fireaway 10 (F-10)||Kidde TPS-1 1A10BC||Traveler 2A40BC|
|Fireaway 10BC||Kidde TPS-1 2A40BC||Traveler T-10 10BC|
|Fireaway 110 (F-110)||KX 2-1/2 TCZ||Traveler T-110 1A10BC|
|Fireaway 1A10BC||Mariner 10BC||Traveler T-240 2A40BC|
|Fireaway 240 (F-240)||Mariner 1A10BC||Volunteer 1A10BC|
|Fireaway 2A40BC||Mariner 2A40BC||Volunteer TPS-V 1A10BC|
|Force 9 2A40BC||Mariner M-10 10BC||XL 2.5 TCZ|
|FS 340Z||Mariner M-110 1A10BC||XL 2.5 TCZ-3|
|Fuller 420 1A10BC||Mariner M-240 2A40BC||XL 2.5 TCZ-4|
|Fuller Brush 420 1A10BC||Master Protection 2A40BC||XL 2.75 RZ|
|FX210||Montgomery Ward 10BC||XL 2.75 RZ-3|
|FX210R||Montgomery Ward 1A-10BC||XL 2-3/4 RZ|
|FX210W||Montgomery Ward 8627 1A10BC||XL 340HD|
|FX340GW||Montgomery Ward 8637 10BC||XL 4 TXZ|
|FX340GW-2||Quell 10BC||XL 5 PK|
|FX340H||Quell 1A10BC||XL 5 TCZ|
|FX340SC||Quell RPS-1 10BC||XL 5 TCZ-1|
|FX340SC-2||Quell TPS-1 1A10BC||XL5 MR|
|Gillette 1A10BC||Quell ZRPS 5BC||XL 6 RZ|
|Plastic-handle models with date codes between January 2, 2012 and August 15, 2017|
|AUTO FX5 II-1||FC5||M10G|
Push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers: The recall involves eight models of Kidde Pindicator fire extinguishers manufactured between August 11, 1995 and September 22, 2017.
The no-gauge push-button extinguishers were sold in red and white, and with a red or black nozzle.
These models were sold primarily for kitchen and personal watercraft applications.
|Push Button Pindicator Models manufactured between August 11, 1995 and September 22, 2017|
- Note: This recall includes fire extinguisher models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and February 2015.
- Kidde branded fire extinguishers included in these previously announced recalls should also be replaced.
All affected model numbers are listed in the charts above.
Recall information for fire extinguishers used in RVs and motor vehicles can be found on NHTSA’s website.
- The firm is aware of a 2014 death involving a car fire following a crash.
- Emergency responders could not get the recalled Kidde fire extinguishers to work.
- There have been approximately 391 reports of failed or limited activation or nozzle detachment, including the fatality, approximately 16 injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns, and approximately 91 reports of property damage.
- Montgomery Ward
- The Home Depot
- Walmart, and other department, home and hardware stores nationwide,
- And online at Amazon.com
- ShopKidde.com, and other online retailers for between $12 and $50 and for about $200 for model XL 5MR.
These fire extinguishers were also sold with commercial trucks, recreational vehicles, personal watercraft and boats.
- Walter Kidde Portable Equipment Company Inc., of Mebane, N.C.
- United States and Mexico
- About 37.8 million (in addition, 2.7 million in Canada)
To Learn More please go to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website for information on specific model numbers involved with this recall.