QinetiQ North America (QNA) has successfully demonstrated full-duplex underwater acoustic data communications, using its new, proprietary DOLPHIN technology.
Developed in partnership with Optimal Systems Laboratory (OSL), located in Cambridge, MA, the DOLPHIN Communication technology will enable groundbreaking capabilities for the undersea domain.
QNA and OSL have developed a unique way of using patented cancelation technology that will enable simultaneous transmit and receive (STAR) acoustic communications.
This technology will make it possible to create extensive undersea data and communication wireless networks, solving many challenges for Navy and commercial customers.
Dolphin benefits include:
- Enables self-forming acoustic underwater networks to operate similarly to wireless land networks with nodes in motion
- Multi-component control networks for fixed and mobile assets anywhere underwater
- Frequency independence, allowing DOLPHIN Comms to be configurable on most systems and platforms (unmanned underwater vehicles, submarines, ships, etc.)
- Full duplex communications greatly improves acoustic data transfer performance over other technology available today
- Dolphin Comms STAR enables extremely low power communications
Dolphin Technology was demonstrated during the Advanced Navy Technology Exercise (ANTX) held in Panama City, Florida, August 15-16, 2017.
Additionally, QNA technology is integrated on America’s most modern warship to launch aircraft using the Electro-Magnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) and arresting gear using our Advanced Arresting Gear (AAG).
(Learn More. The Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) is a complete carrier-based launch system, designed to expand the operational capability of the Navy’s future carriers. Courtesy of QNA, Spectral and YouTube)
QNA’s Complete Line of Maritime Capabilities Include:
Sea Scout – Air-launched Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (UUV)
C-TALON – Submersible robot for surveillance and reconnaissance
SabreTooth – For shipboard inspection, maintenance and surveillance
Underwater Optical Communications – Provides command and control needs
Flight Deck Safety Net – Offers safety and fall protection at sea and at port
(Learn More about QNA Maritime Solutions, courtesy of QinetiQ NA and YouTube)
QinetiQ North America (QNA), delivers world-class technology and revolutionary products to the defense, security, and commercial markets.
QNA products include unmanned systems, military protection and power sensors and control systems.