Quantum Corporation, the 2016 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Program Platinum Award Winner for Best Video Data Storage Solution is continuing to set the pace with the nomination of the company’s StorNext 6 File System in the 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Awards Program.
With data storage becoming a more fundamental element in video surveillance systems, StorNext® 6 file system adds new advanced data management features to the industry-leading streaming performance of the company’s scale-out tiered storage solutions portfolio, which includes flash, disk, tape and public and private cloud storage offerings.
It presents these different technologies as a single drive letter, allowing a security professional to access all data from within the VMS or analytics application directly, with no need to utilize an archive solution or involve IT.
(Hear from Keith Lissak of Quantum, from the 2017 International Broadcasting Convention in Amsterdam. Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out tiered storage, archive and data protection. The company’s StorNext platform powers modern high-performance workflows, enabling seamless, real-time collaboration and keeping content readily accessible for future use and re-monetization. Courtesy of ProductionHUBTV and YouTube)
StorNext 6 scale-out file system delivers a unique combination of new advanced data management features for on-premise, hybrid cloud and public cloud environments & industry-leading streaming performance.
- StorNext meets demanding performance requirements, enables customers to scale to hundreds of petabytes, and integrates easily into collaborative environments.
- StorNext combines protection, flexibility and efficiency in an enterprise-grade system engineered for today and tomorrow.
- StorNext 6 offers a number of new features that are of particular interest to the video surveillance community.
- New workflow enhancements to StorNext are designed to fit with existing ecosystem applications and tools, and are engineered to handle more complex streaming workloads.
StorNext 6 enables collaboration on a global scale and supports users as their environments grow.
“While traditional NAS and general-purpose, scale-out storage offerings increasingly fall short in meeting today’s escalating unstructured data management demands, Quantum continues to deliver even greater advancements in our StorNext-based solutions,” explains Molly Presley, Vice President, Global Marketing, Quantum.
“We designed StorNext 6 to give businesses and other organizations the ability to interact with their data in new ways and thereby drive greater creativity, productivity, innovation and insight.”
Other key features for video surveillance storage:
FlexSync™ continuous content synchronization creates a replica of a source file system onto a remote, network-connected destination.
- FlexSync maintains continuous synchronization through metadata monitoring.
- FlexSync can create copies of surveillance data to provide an off-site copy of video content for data protection or distribution.
- This has the added benefit of protecting data from malicious acts as this feature also can have multiple “versions” if files are modified.
- FlexSync can be configured to run as frequently as every minute, providing a very short window before the file is replicated.
Storage Built for Video Surveillance
FlexSpace™ multi-site shared archive uses Quantum’s unique software foundation to enable distributed, collaborative workflows, creating “stubs” to remotely archived files and using Amazon S3-based object store repositories.
- For environments where multiple geographically distributed users need access to the same content, FlexSpace provides a mechanism to enable those users to access the same content from a cloud copy without the need to replicate the data to each of the locations.
- Only the content that is needed is downloaded to the local system.
- This is advantageous for sites with limited network bandwidth between sites because it maintains access to all of the content.
Client-based Quality of Service (QoS) enables bandwidth throttling to allow users to specify the maximum bandwidth permitted for a client.
- In addition, bandwidth reservation guarantees bandwidth for a client by limiting others. Within a security environment, there are multiple “workflows” that occur.
- For example, ingest of real-time video from cameras has different performance requirements than playback of previously recorded data.
- Client-based QoS can set up different systems to have the appropriate level of performance for their function, ensuring that the most critical (ingest) always has priority over other functions.
File system auditing provides an activity trail of “what, when, and who” made changes to file metadata and the contents of the file itself.
In a security environment, the ability to determine all the “touchpoints” for a file can be very important, both for investigative purposes as well as evidentiary validity of video content.
StorNext now provides a higher-level of insight into the activity within a file system.
StorNext 6 Scale-out Storage
Delivering an unparalleled combination of high performance and advanced data management
Scale-out Parallel File System
- Shared, high-performance, highly scalable file system
- Built-in data management to optimize client performance and auditing
- The best combination of connectivity from SAN (FC and IB) and NAS (IP, CIFS, and NFS) to deliver optimized performance and ease of access
Advanced Data Management
- Extensive policy-driven management capabilities for multi-tier storage including flash, tape, object storage, low-cost disk, and cloud
- Intelligent and efficient tiering for optimizing performance and maximizing capacity
- Business- and workflow-driven data management policies for enhanced data protection and collaboration, enabling maximum control of global access and data movement from an entire facility down to a single subdirectory
Quantum Corporation in 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Program
The 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Program, is organized to recognize the most distinguished vendors of Physical, IT, Port Security, Law Enforcement, First Responders, (Fire, EMT, Military, Support Services Vets, SBA, Medical Tech) as well as the Federal, State, County and Municipal Government Agencies – to acknowledge their outstanding efforts to ‘Keep our Nation Secure, One City at a Time.’
As an ‘ASTORS’ competitor, Quantum’s StorNext 6 File System will be competing against the industry’s leading providers of Innovative Video Data Storage Solutions.
American Security Today will be holding the 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Awards Presentation Luncheon at 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m, Wednesday, November 15th at ISC East, the Northeast’s largest security industry event, in the Jacob Javits Exhibition Center in New York City.
At ISC East you will have the chance to meet with technical reps from over 225 leading brands in the security industry, allowing you to find out about new products and stay ahead of the competition.
Encompassing everything from Video Surveillance and Access Control to Smart Home Technologies and Unmanned Security, you’re sure to find products and services that will benefit your company and clients.