There is a reason why relatively few electronic security companies specialize in Outdoor/Perimeter Security.
The technology required in providing dependable solutions for larger, high-value assets and the associated installation costs often exclude the smaller security companies from competing.
A project involving 4-5 hundred meters of fence line could easily be secured using any of the current detection technologies: infrared, microwave, vibration et al.
But, what can you propose to a customer who wants protection for a 45 square mile water reservoir, or thousands of miles of national boarders?
The problem is the cost involved in providing extended lengths of protection divided into zones that accommodate a targeted response.
Until recently, only governmental agencies could afford to protect perimeters in excess of 1 or 2 kilometers.
The engineers at BEI Communications have developed a new, fiber-optic based technology which accommodates the protection of great distances at a fraction of the cost of other technologies.
For decades, BEI Communications has been providing fiber-optic based solutions, delivering the technology and support for prisons, nuclear power facilities, international borders, pipe lines, Chemical Plants, Government Installations and other high-value assets.
Principles of Operation
FiberNet technology is a uniquely structured fiber-optic system comprised of a fiber-optic woven net. Each FiberNet zone is comprised of a single woven fiberoptic cable.
Coded infrared (IR) light is sent through the fiber-optic cable; a cut in the cable, breaking the light path, will trigger an alarm.
FiberNet is generally comprised of two uniquely structured sections of fiber-optic net, a lower section for cut through protection, and an optional upper outrigger section (FiberNet XL)
Any attempt to cut, lift, crawl under, climb over or pass through the FiberNet will result in detection.
- 99.99% PROBABILITY OF DETECTION PLUS A VIRTUALLY ZERO FALSE ALARM RATE!
- Effective and comprehensive. Designed for medium- to highsecurity risk installations, the MarineNet delivers the most reliable and effective front-line intrusion detection.
- No Metal Components. Immune to interference from noise, radio frequencies, electromagnetic or electrostatic fields. Transparent to radar microwaves.
- Durable. Our fiber-optic cable has a 30-year lifespan and will likely outlast your infrastructure! The MarineNet is unaffected by weather, harsh environments, corrosion or UV radiation; it can be installed in fresh or salt water.
- No False Alarms. The MarineNet is not affected by shock, vibration, or wind.
- Versatile. Can be installed as part of a comprehensive integrated system or stand-alone with dry-contact outputs. It can be installed freestanding or attached to any new or existing barriers.
- Integrated GUI. All BEI Security turn-key systems include our advanced System Command Center to provide immediate and reliable data relating to any intrusion attempt. The SCC is vendor-independent, and may be integrated with any new or existing equipment.
Designed for medium to high security risk installations, the SmartFence integrates BEI Security’s most advanced and proven fiber-optic technologies, the FiberNet and FiberSensor.
Attach the SmartFence to any existing or new perimeter barriers:
- Chain link
- Barbed wire or weld mesh
- Concrete, stone or brick wall palisades
- Freestanding barrier
INVEST IN THE SmartFence:
- The SmartFence is highly reliable, easy and economical to install and maintain, and features exceptionally low false alarm rates (FAR), high probability of detection (PD), and low price per kilometer.
- The SmartFence is unaffected by weather and harsh environments, and can be installed underground, near or even in water (fresh or salt).
- The SmartFence is immune to EMI and RFI.
- Installed at an airport perimeter, it will not i
Fiber-optic technology is tried and true with several clients using systems that are decades old!
(See BEI Security Fiber optic net/fiber optic fence tested under the most severe conditions. Courtesy of BEI Security and YouTube)
Reflected Light Time Differential / Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (RLTDR) uses two, solid-state lasers which inject signals into each end of a proprietary, tactical fiber up to 100 kilometers in length.
Under normal operations, the system controller defaults to Reflected Light Time Differential where any external affectation on the fiber will produce attenuation which is parsed by the system controller then analyzed by a pc-based program which filters-out false alarms and then provides a graphical representation of the location of the alarm, accurate to within ±15 meters.
Should the fiber become cut or damaged, the system controller automatically converts to Optical Time Domain Reflectometer technology and will continue to provide detection on the undamaged portion of fiber.
Additionally, the system is able to store the sound created by the event that triggered the alarm.
The attenuation of the fiber-optic signal effectively modulates the signal which the system is able to save as a sound file.
Having such data available will prove invaluable to the end user.
Additionally, the system is capable of differentiating between an animal and intruder.
Human movement can be detected up to 3 meters, vehicles can be detected up to 10 meters and digging activity is detected up to 5 meters depending on configuration.
RLTDR can be deployed in almost an unlimited number of configurations.
The main requirement being that both ends of the fiber must terminate at the system controller.
If you are installing the product on a 100 kilometer fence which surrounds a water reservoir, you can deploy a single tactical fiber attached to the fence, out and back to the system controller.
If you are installing the product on a pipeline, you can deploy a single tactical fiber for 50 kilometers along one side of the pipeline, cross over and run the fiber along the other side, back to the system controller.
Once the system is installed, a database can be compiled which will not only provide the location of the alarm but will also generate the geographical coordinates of the alarm.
These coordinates can be automatically forwarded to a rapid response team allowing them to respond quickly and efficiently.
RLTDR Benefits Include:
- Long range perimeter sensor up to 100 kilometers in total perimeter length (or 50km for looped zones)
- Accuracy of +/-15 meter detection
- Utilizes a newly developed patent pending technology
- Offers a unique and easily deployed intrusion detection system
- Offers major cost reduction over other fiber solutions
- Dual fibers in a single jacket provides more accurate signal response
- Additionally, the system alarm can provide a GPS location to a DRONE for dispatch to the intrusion site for immediate inspection.
RLTDR FIBER SENSOR Operational Characteristics:
- Derived from BEI’s unique Fiber Sensor technology, the RLTDR system extends the perimeter protected zone length up to 100 kilometers with a dual jacketed fiber.
- It is easy to install and maintain.
- The RLTDR Fiber Sensor controller is housed in a 1U Rack enclosure powered by either low voltage AC or DC.
- The RLTDR Fiber Sensor interfaces via either RS232 or USB to a PC for signal processing and alarm notification.
- With the RLTDR Fiber Sensor unit there is no power required in the field for perimeters up to 100 kilometers.