Quantum’s StorNext 6, a major new release of the company’s award-winning StorNext® scale-out file system, delivers a unique combination of new advanced data management features for on-premise, hybrid cloud and public cloud environments and industry-leading streaming performance.
StorNext 6 offers a number of features that are of particular interest to the surveillance industry.
A few highlights include:
FlexSync Continuous Content Synchronization
- Can create copies of surveillance data to provide an off-site copy of video content for data protection or distribution.
- This has the added benefit of protecting from malicious acts as this feature also can have multiple “versions” if files are modified.
Online Stripe Group Management
- Provides non-disruptive scaling with auto redistribution.
- As surveillance systems requirements change, this capability allows for the storage infrastructure to change as well without disrupting ingest and other functions.
- Additional capacity can be added, and additional bandwidth can be added to an active file system to meet increased retention or performance.
File System Auditing
- Provides an activity trail of the “what, when, and who” made changes to file metadata and the contents of the file itself.
- In a security environment, the ability to determine all the “touch-points” for a file can be very important both for investigative purposes as well as evidentiary validity of video content.
- StorNext now provides a higher level of insight into the activity within a file system.
StorNext 6 is now shipping with the company’s Xcellis® workflow storage solutions, enabling users to overcome the limitations of traditional NAS systems in keeping up with the demands of large, rapidly growing data-intensive workloads and driving business value from that data.
This latest StorNext release provides more efficient and cost-effective ways to share and access files across geographically distributed teams, to manage and protect archived data, and to audit changes to data throughout its lifecycle.
(Quantum Xcellis is a powerful and scalable system that simplifies storage architecture and streamlines operations. Xcellis enhances workflows, boosts efficiency, improves productivity, and enables business insight. Courtesy of Quantum Corporation and YouTube)
Delivering an unparalleled combination of
high performance and advanced data management
- StorNext was created to solve the daunting problem of sharing access to massive data sets for strategic analysis.
- Now recognized as a leader in scale-out storage for large, data-intensive workloads, we have built on that pedigree through continuous development.
- StorNext 6 delivers the unique combination of high performance and advanced data management, providing cost-effective scalability and access for a wide variety of workloads and use cases, including media production, genomics research, video surveillance, geospatial imaging, VR content, and more.
- StorNext 6 empowers companies to architect their storage environment based on the needs of their business—all-flash, tape, cloud, and other storage tiers.
- The StorNext platform eliminates the need to recreate the data management infrastructure to take advantage of an ever-changing landscape of storage offerings, allowing companies to maximize their storage investments.
- This flexibility means that data is always available in the right place at the right time and at the right cost.
- StorNext 6 enhances efficiency and lowers the costs associated with complex data management by simplifying the movement, access, sharing, and protection of data— regardless of location.
- StorNext 6 delivers these capabilities while optimizing performance at scale, so every user benefits from a seamless, global, multi-tier storage environment without changing the way they work.
- StorNext provides companies with cost-effective storage that supports flexible and efficient user access to data directly with their chosen applications.
“As we talk to customers, it’s clear that traditional NAS and general-purpose, scale-out storage offerings often can’t meet the performance and parallel workload demands resulting from the rapid growth of large unstructured data volumes,” said Molly Presley, Vice President, Global Marketing, Quantum.
“In contrast, our StorNext 6-based Xcellis workflow storage solutions provide an unparalleled combination of high performance and advanced data management that enables users in highly data-intensive environments to achieve their business and mission objectives more efficiently and cost-effectively.”
Multi-Site File Replication and Sharing for Easier Collaboration
One of the key challenges in highly data-intensive environments such as genomics, academic research, video surveillance and government security is enabling dispersed teams to work together using a common data set for creative, analytical or other purposes. StorNext 6 addresses this challenge with two new features, FlexSync™ and FlexSpace™:
- Provides a fast, flexible and simple way to synchronize data between multiple StorNext-based systems in a highly manageable and automated fashion.
- It supports one-to-one, one-to-many and many-to-one file replication scenarios and can be configured to operate at almost any level: specific files, specific folders or entire file systems.
- Allows multiple instances of StorNext ― and geographically distributed teams ― to share a single storage repository and easily access the same data set.
- To reduce costs, the shared repository avoids maintaining duplicate copies of data at each site while providing access to all users, in any location, at any time. FlexSpace supports both public and private cloud storage that uses the S3 protocol, including Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud as well as Quantum’s Lattus® object storage and third-party object storage such as NetApp StorageGRID, IBM Cleversafe and Scality RING.
Enhanced StorNext-Client Functionality for Greater Agility
High-performance file storage users may have dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of clients accessing a system at any time, which can hinder workflows and create other inefficiencies.
To address this problem, StorNext 6 includes a new quality of service (QoS) for optimizing performance across all client workstations, and on a machine-by-machine basis, to align with business priorities.
- Allocate more bandwidth to individual workstations for more demanding applications involving urgent projects.
- Set parameters so that less time-sensitive activities do not consume an unnecessary amount of bandwidth.
- Make adjustments quickly as priorities change.
StorNext 6 also enables client platforms to browse archive directories that contain offline files — which can number in the hundreds of thousands, or even millions ― without having to retrieve the entire directory.
As a result, this feature significantly streamlines the archive retrieval process, enabling users to get the files they need more quickly.
File Copy Expiration for Increased ROI and File Auditing for Deeper Insights
As the foundation for a single, integrated solution that can span a single namespace across flash, spinning disk, object storage, tape and the cloud, StorNext has long reduced overall storage costs through tiering.
StorNext 6 adds:
- A new copy expiration feature, enabling automated removal of file copies from more expensive storage tiers, thereby freeing up space and increasing the overall return on investment.
- The ability to track changes in files across the data lifecycle and report who changed a file, when the changes were made, what was changed and whether and to where a file was moved ― all of which provides administrators with greater file management granularity and insight into usage patterns and helps support compliance requirements.