By Mara Klecker, Star Tribune
As the search for Jayme Closs stretched into its seventh day, the Barron (Wis.) County Sheriff’s Office said Sunday that it’s investigated more than 1,000 tips since the 13-year-old went missing from her home last Monday.
“Jayme remains missing and endangered and has been added to the top of the FBI’s Missing Persons list, and is currently on digital billboards nationwide,” Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said in a statement posted on the agency’s Facebook page.
(Police are following up on all leads and tips to get information about what happened the night Jayme Closs’ parents were killed and she was kidnapped. Courtesy of ABC News and YouTube. Posted on Oct 20, 2018.)
Authorities say that Closs was in the family’s house outside of Barron early Monday when her parents, James and Denise Closs, were fatally shot.
The teenager has not been seen since.
The Sheriff’s Office is holding a news briefing at 4 p.m. Monday.
A “gathering of hope” for Closs is scheduled for Monday night at Riverview Middle School.
There, the Barron Area School District plans to provide residents with resources and crisis support for dealing with the trauma of Closs’ disappearance.
In his statement, Fitzgerald wrote: “Thank you to all of our law enforcement partners, citizens and businesses of our community for your continued support and prayers to bring Jayme safely home.”
(Nearly a week into the search for missing 13-year-old Jayme Closs, the Barron County Sheriff’s Department has received more than 1,200 tips and says it has “thoroughly investigated over 1,000.” Courtesy of Kare 11 and YouTube. Posted on Oct 21, 2018.)
Anyone with information is asked to call a 24-hour tip line, 1-855-744-3879, or to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mara Klecker covers Washington County for the Star Tribune. She previously spent two years covering social services for the Omaha World-Herald.