February 17, 2019 – In Breaking News – The Washington Post
Five people were injured and a gunman fatally wounded during a shootout in downtown New Orleans Sunday night (Feb. 17), according to New Orleans police.
New Orleans EMS spokesman Lt. Jonathan Fourcade said four people were shot around 6:45 p.m. near the intersection of Canal Street and Elk Place.
All four victims were brought to University Medical Center in critical condition, Fourcade said.
A fifth person who was not shot was also brought to the hospital to be treated for abrasions.
(Five “innocent bystanders” were hit by gunfire after a man opened fire on police in downtown New Orleans on Sunday (Feb. 17), according to NOPD Chief Shaun Ferguson. Courtesy of NOLA .com and YouTube. Posted on Feb 17, 2019.)
Police updated the conditions of the victims on Monday:
- Victim 1: B/F, DOB: 08-08-01, Sustained gunshot wound to the left leg. Underwent surgery.
- Victim 2: B/M, DOB 01-14-85, Sustained gunshot wound to left arm, and upper abdomen. Critical but stable condition.
- Victim 3: H/M, 09-08-81, Sustained gunshot wound to left shoulder. Released from hospital.
- Victim 4: B/M, 04-05-85, Sustained gunshot wound to right elbow. Released from hospital.
- Victim 5: B/M, 07-25-86, Sustained gunshot wound to right hip.
According to Ferguson, officers spotted a person of interest near the intersection of Canal and Elk streets just after 6:45 p.m. who they believed to be involved with two armed robberies last week.
When the uniformed officers attempted to question the person, the suspect took out a gun and started firing at them.
An officer and detective returned fire, sparking a shootout during which five innocent bystanders were struck while waiting at a bus stop nearby.
NOPD initial reports say the officers who first approached the suspect were unable to return gunfire.
According to the initial report from NOPD, additional officers arrived and exchanged gunfire with the suspect.
A foot pursuit ended in front of Tulane Medical Center where the suspect attempted to hide from police in a bush, according to the report…
Continue reading… Gunman Killed, Five People Wounded in New Orleans Police Shootout
AST strives to meet a 3 STAR trustworthiness rating, based on the following criteria:
- Provides named sources
- Reported by more than one notable outlet
- Includes supporting video, direct statements, or photos