Aquabotix, an underwater robotics company with operations in Australia and the U.S., has released SwarmDiverTM, a micro unmanned surface vehicle (USV) and unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV) that operates in a swarm.
Multiple SwarmDiverTM can function simultaneously as a single coordinated entity, be easily controlled via one operator on the surface, and perform dives on command to collect valuable intelligence.
See SwarmDiverTM in operation here, in a swarm of approximately 30 units encircling a vessel.
(The Aquabotix SwarmDiver is a Micro Diving USV (Unmanned Surface Vehicle) which utilizes swarming technology to act as a single entity. SwarmDiver is capable of synchronous vertical diving, is easy to deploy, and has a max dive depth of 50 meters for Defense and Ocean Research. Courtesy of Aquabotix and YouTube. Posted on Apr 11, 2018)
“This vehicle is a game-changer for both the industry and Aquabotix,” explains Whitney Million, Aquabotix’s Chief Executive Officer.
“Until today, there were simply no micro hybrid USV/UUV vehicles and no swarming unmanned vehicles with diving capabilities, commercially available in the industry. Aquabotix has changed that.”
“Maritime swarming is rapidly becoming an area of focus for naval forces globally, and SwarmDiverTM leads a revolution in underwater technologies.”
“SwarmDiverTM advances amphibious warfare tactics as it is engineered to handle dynamic operational situations, including Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions and sophisticated, coordinated assaults through tracking, trailing and overwhelming targets.”
“In addition to defense and security applications, SwarmDiverTM can be deployed in research, harbor management and oceanography.”
Key details of SwarmDiverTM are as follows:
• Miniaturized – weighing just 1.7kg at a length of 75cm
• Vertical dive capability
• Ability to operate as both a UUV (diving underwater) and a USV (on the surface)
• 50 meter dive-depth
• Easily deployable and recoverable
• Wireless data feedback upon surfacing
• High accuracy temperature (+/-0.1℃) and pressure sensor (+/- 2cm depth)
• Additional sensor payloads available
• Multi-constellation GPS for +/-1m location accuracy
• Deployable in groups for synoptic data gathering
• Sustained surf zone operation, and
• Low cost
- Many vehicles, one operator
- Wireless communications protocols and advanced swarming algorithms allow a swarm of vehicles to act together
- Simple control interface allows operator to interact with entire fleet as a single entity
- Swarm formation commands allow for multiple grouping patterns to meet mission requirements, including synchronized dives and data capture
Easy to Deploy & Retrieve
- Simply turn on each vehicle and place in the water to activate swarm
- ‘Return to Home’ algorithm ensures all vehicles return in a single file line for retrieval
- Oversized handle allows for capture by hand or boat hook
- GPS coordinates for each vehicle in the swarm
- Operates in surf zone and other challenging environments
- Rubber nose & prop guards to minimize impact damage
- Minimal moving parts/exposed parts to reduce need for repair
- Drop into the water from a height of several meters
- Positively buoyant micro diving USV to stay in sight and remain in desired formation
To Learn More about the SwarmDiverTM Micro USV/UUV, please visit www.aquabotix.com.
Based in Sydney, Australia and Fall River, Massachusetts, USA, Aquabotix is an established underwater robotics company which manufactures and sells commercial and industrial-grade underwater drones for commercial, high-end consumer and military applications.
(Learn More about Aquabotix, a technology leader in portable underwater vehicles. Courtesy of Aquabotix and YouTube. Posed on Mar 19, 2018)